Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Dreaming of a meaningful Advent

Advent wreaths, Jesse trees, Advent angels, mangers, traveling Mary and Joseph, O Antiphons, the Nativity novena...oh, there are so many activities out there for families to do for Advent. I think we have done, or tried just about every one with varying successes. Every year I ponder all these things, and new ones that I have found and imagine all my happy, smiling faces joyfully participating in these devotions. It is not to be. Either my lack of preparation, lack of follow through or giving up after moans and groans and rolled eyes end my big plans. We'll stick with the ones that work. Advent wreath, celebrating St Nicholas Day (Dec 6), the Immaculate Conception (Dec 8th), Our Lady of Guadalupe (Dec 12), St. Lucy's Day (Dec 13), the Advent Wreath (oh how they love the Advent Wreath, it is the candles-they are all about fire), some sort of Advent calendar and the setting up of the Nativity scene in stages and traveling Mary and Joseph through the house.
No Jesse Tree. I know, I know...how can we not do the Jesse Tree? I've tried a good 3 or 4 times but we just don't get into it and never make it beyond the first couple days.
Now if they could set the Jesse Tree on fire???

1 comment:

The Other Katie said...

I don't know about burning a Jesse tree. Jesse trees are a good idea but if we burned one I would feel like I was burning Advent in effigy... it sounds weird, I know. But it really wouldn't seem right...