Sunday, June 12, 2011

Flying High

Jack had an amazing time at the TX Wing PFA. I am so thankful he was able to go and able to solo. Chris, Mom and I arrived a few minutes before the ceremony began, which was remarkable since we left 30 minutes late and had to drive 360 miles. Jack chose me to pin on his wings and I am so honored and happy that he did. Here is the video of Jack receiving his wings and his "official" call sign. Transcript below.





MC: In the name of the pilot
Audience: Keep the blue side up!
MC: In the name of the copilot
Audience: Keep the brown side down!
MC: In the name of the Cessna 172
Audience: Stay out of the Trees
MC: Air Force
Audience: HOORAH!
MC: Air Force
Audience: HOORAH!
MC: Air Force
Audience: HOORAH!
MC: From now on you will be known as.....RUDDER. Welcome to the brotherhood and sisterhood of aviators.
Audience: HOORAH!

Cue mom tears.

Some photos of the traditional post-solo CAP 'ceremony'. I am one who loves tradition and ritual, and I am enjoying watching my boys take part in these decades old CAP/AF traditions.
First the boys 'tails' are cut. In days past when instructor pilots (IP's) sat behind, instead of next to, their students the IP would pull on the shirttails of the student to signal them to go right, to left etc....after the solo the tails were no longer needed and it became the tradition to cut them off. After that is a dunking in water courtesy of the other students.



Jack and his IP, "Pappy"







This isn't Jack, but another cadet , I just loved this pic:

No comments: